digital code signing

This forum has been archived and is no longer active.

The new forum is located at:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/installjammer/

You may continue to view and search the topics in this forum, but no new posts can be created.

digital code signing

Postby geof » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:28 am

Hi all.

I have a question that may be simple for some but I can|t find an answer anywhere. I can find quite often that Installjammer allow digital signature but I can|t find how to do it. I've been through almost every drop down and checkbox in Installjammer without finding where I could add my certificate.

Any one knows how it is done?

Thanks in advance.
geof

Re: digital code signing

Postby Ramalamdingdong » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:49 am

Hi geof!
You have to use external tools for code signing like Microsoft's signtool.exe (new) or signcode.exe (old).
The signcode.exe ships for example with Microsoft.NET SDK V1.1. The signtool.exe is available in Microsoft's PSDK 2003R2. Both tools may be included within other SDKs as well.
Ramalamdingdong

Postby damon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 am

Ramalamdingdong is correct. Digital signing of installers is supported, but it's not currently supported in the builder itself. This has to be done using the external signtool.exe from Microsoft. You can google around and find some good tutorials on how to sign EXEs. That's how I learned. 0-]

It's on my list to add support for signing from the builder, but it's not there yet.
To file an issue, please visit:

http://tracker.installjammer.com/
damon
Site Admin

Postby geof » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Thank you for this fast answer. I started the download of the SDK ;)

I still have questions about your answers:
1. What do you mean by "Digital signing of installers is supported"? What would happen if it was not supported?
2. Is there any plan for the introduction of signing from the builder? When and/or How?
geof

Postby damon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:52 pm

geof wrote:1. What do you mean by "Digital signing of installers is supported"? What would happen if it was not supported?

In earlier versions of IJ, if you signed an installer, it would corrupt the installer, and it would no longer run. The code was added in to make signing possible, and it's now standard. That's all I meant.

geof wrote:2. Is there any plan for the introduction of signing from the builder? When and/or How?

I do have plans to add it to the builder, but I don't have a timeline on it. It's not near the top of my list if that's what you're asking. And, when it is implemented, it will still require the signtool from MS. I don't plan on writing my own tool to do this job, and MS's license doesn't allow me to ship it with IJ, so it's still going to require the external download. But, you'll already have that now. 0-]
To file an issue, please visit:

http://tracker.installjammer.com/
damon
Site Admin

Postby geof » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:58 am

Thank you very much. I do have the tool and the signing works like a charm like the rest of IJ.
geof

Postby nikhil_brahmbhatt » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:04 am

geof wrote:Thank you very much. I do have the tool and the signing works like a charm like the rest of IJ.

which tool are you using , we are using verisign tool but it does not allow signing of build exe...

any help will be appreciated...
thanks,
nikhil.
nikhil_brahmbhatt

Return to Help