InstallJammer Development Discontinued

This forum has been archived and is no longer active.

The new forum is located at:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/installjammer/

You may continue to view and search the topics in this forum, but no new posts can be created.

InstallJammer Development Discontinued

Postby damon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:31 pm

After more than 10 years of (mostly) active development, I am discontinuing development of InstallJammer. I've wrestled with this decision for more than a year now, and in my heart I always thought that I would come back and continue the work. As time went on and other projects started bubbling to the surface, I realized that I no longer had the heart to continue with InstallJammer.

A migration plan is underway to move the InstallJammer assets to SourceForge for project hosting and to open up the project repositories for anyone who would care to work on the development in the future. I don't expect anyone to take over, but stranger things have happened. If someone does step forward to continue the development of InstallJammer, I will work out the logistics and handing off the code and helping them through the process as much as my time allows.

These forums will continue to exist for the time being. I'm working on migrating all of the current topics and users over to a forum on SourceForge where these will continue to exist. I don't know for how long, but SourceForge doesn't really have a problem hosting stuff for projects like InstallJammer, so who knows. I'm sure you've also noticed that I combined the three forums into one. Everyone just sort of picked a random one to post questions in anyway, and they were all pretty much help requests, so I just simplified it. All of the posts from General and Development were combined with the Help forum. This will make the migration easier as well.

What should you do going forward? You can continue to use InstallJammer completely free of charge. You can grab the source code and fix some of those pesky bugs yourself. You can hire someone to help you fix those bugs. You might even hire me if you can convince me to do it. I won't make any promises, but I might be persuaded to help out.

You should definitely start looking for an installer that is under more active development. As I said, someone may come along and take up the reins and start new development, but I wouldn't count on it.

It has been a lot of fun working on this project, and I have gained an immense amount of knowledge because of it. InstallJammer has been a big part of my life for more than a decade. A part of me really hates to see it go, but a bigger part of me is excited about all of the new projects I'm working on now.

Thanks for all the help over the years. You know who you are.
To file an issue, please visit:

http://tracker.installjammer.com/
damon
Site Admin

Re: InstallJammer Development Discontinued

Postby hsehdar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:58 pm

Dear Damon,

Congratulations on getting freed from InstallJammer after a decade of service. In my humble opinion this is one installer which is multi-platform. It is with a easy to use GUI for novice users and for advanced users TCL scripting feature. With these and many more advantages the project may not get development discontinued if there are people who maintain it. One of the easiest and quickest way to resolve this issue is to request Apache Foundation to consider this project for adopting. There may be many other organizations who can take care kindly consider one of them.

Thank you,
With regards,
Hsehdar
hsehdar

Postby Andrey » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:22 am

Hi Damon,

Thanks for the many years of support and development of InstallJammer.
I think this is one of the best multi-platform installers.
I hope you will find fast a team to continue its development.

Good luck!

With regards,
Andrey
Andrey

Postby techie45 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:41 am

Hi Damon,

Thank you for a great product and great support over the years!

I was wondering if you'd had a chance to post the source code to SourceForge yet. We're hitting a problem and can't debug what's going on. Our installer installs around 40 child installers (either IJ installers or zip files). It then hangs randomly, usually at some simple IJ action like "add directory to path" usually on Windows7/Vista, but we've also seen it on XP. Unfortunately, it can't be reproduced consistently. I was hoping to take a look at the source code to try and figure this out.

Good luck with your new endeavours, and hopefully we'll all get to use them too!
Thanks again!
techie45

Return to Help