Duplicate Program Icons Created (Linux)

This forum has been archived and is no longer active.

The new forum is located at:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/installjammer/

You may continue to view and search the topics in this forum, but no new posts can be created.

Duplicate Program Icons Created (Linux)

Postby kool65 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:30 am

Hi,

I have made an installer for Linux (Mandriva 2009.1) and have one entry in "Install Actions" called "Program Shortcut" which I've added the additional arguments of "Categories=Audio". I have no other shortcut actions in "Install Actions"

The icon is created successfully in the "Sound & Video" menu (see screenshot) but there is also a folder created on the main (root) menu. I can't seem to figure out how to not have this second set of icons. If I remove the above "Program Shortcut" entry then both sets of icons disappear.

Anyone else seen this, or is it particular to my distribution? Can anyone suggest a fix or workaround. Thanks in advance.

minamp1.png
minamp1.png (124.93 KiB) Viewed 7023 times

minamp2.png
minamp2.png (111.57 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
kool65

Re: Duplicate Program Icons Created (Linux)

Postby hsehdar » Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 am

Hi,

Under Install Actions group make the below actions as Active=No
1. Program Shortcut
2. Uninstall Shortcut

Not tested this. These are the actions which are responsible for creating those icons.

Thank you,
With regards,
Hsehdar
hsehdar

Postby kool65 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for the reply Hsehdar,

Strangely if I set both of those shortcut items to 'No' it makes absolutely no difference. I tried exiting InstallJammer and checked that the fields were still No and rebuilt again, still the same. As I mentioned above completely deleting the shortcuts makes both menu entries disappear.

I'm thinking I may have to run a script at the end to delete the unwanted .Desktop entries that are created, not quite sure how to do that yet.
kool65

Postby kool65 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:41 am

More Info, these are the ".desktop" files created when the package is installed. I have determined that it is the ".local" files that are creating the double up of menu entries. I think this may be a specific issue to KDE/Mandriva, not sure. I will try to test on Ubuntu. The contents of the desktop file are shown below, it looks fine to me.

Program Entries...
/home/user/.gnome/apps/minamp-program.desktop
/home/user/.kde/share/applnk/minamp-program.desktop
/home/user/.local/share/applications/minamp-program.desktop

Uninstall Entries...
/home/user/.kde/share/applnk/minamp-uninstall.desktop
/home/user/.gnome/apps/minamp-uninstall.desktop
/home/user/.local/share/applications/minamp-uninstall.desktop

Contents of minamp-program.desktop...
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=MinAmp
Exec=/home/user/minamp/minamp
Icon=/home/user/minamp/gfx/icon.png
Categories=Audio

What I don't get is that the above file has "Categories=Audio" which is why the icons show up in "Sound & Video" but why do they also show up in the main menu? Other applications that I have installed (ie World of Goo, Lugaru) have very similar .desktop fles and they work fine.
kool65

Postby kool65 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:46 am

Hi Again,

I have published my application (Music Player) and thought that maybe if a few people could try to install it and see if they get the same problem I am having. I would be particularly interested if someone with Ubuntu or Fedora could give it a go. I am getting the problem on all versions of Mandriva that I have.

Anyway here is the link http://linux.kewley.name/minamp
kool65

Postby hsehdar » Mon May 16, 2011 8:33 am

Hi kool65,

Downloaded and installed the player on Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit with Ubuntu Classic (no effects) desktop environment.

Sadly the icons are in two places.
hsehdar

Postby kool65 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:53 am

Hi Again,

I think this is some kind of bug. I installed a fresh distro of Ubuntu 10.10 into Virtualbox and then InstallerJammer and created my project using basically defaults. It installed fine and created the menu entry as shown in the first screenshot at the top of this post.

I then edited the project and ONLY added "Categories=AudioVideo;Audio;Mixer;" to the "Additional Arguments" of the Program Shortcut & Uninstall Shotcut. After Uninstalling the original, check the all meny entries are gone and the re-building and installing this modification I get the duplicate menu entries. So it seems to me that when "Additional Arguments" exist the menus are duplicated.

For now I've just resorted to leaving "Additional Arguments" blank and put up with my menus in the main menu rather than the audio sub menu.

Regards,
Kool65.
kool65

Return to Help