Windows seven compatibility

This forum has been archived and is no longer active.

The new forum is located at:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/installjammer/

You may continue to view and search the topics in this forum, but no new posts can be created.

Windows seven compatibility

Postby gaston85 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Damon ,
I make pack and test them for windows 7 and everything is fine. But when installed for windows 7 everything is good except a message when installation finish that tell that the program is not installed correctly and need to be installed with the compatibilities parameters of this version of windows. Which is a little bit annoying because the clients will think that there is something wrong with the pack.
This happen with the 1.2.13 version , I downloaded the latest snapshot 1.2.15 and the same message appear.
Can you help me in this ?
gaston85

Re: Windows seven compatibility

Postby wendrich » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:18 am

Hi there,
is there any solution for this issue? I run into the same problem.

Thx, Sebastian
wendrich

Postby damon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 pm

I've seen this before, but I've never looked into it. This is something new in Windows that SOMEHOW determines that a program is not installed correctly, whatever that means.

Does anyone know what causes this? I'll Google around a bit and see what I can find, but if someone knows what is going on, I'd love to know. 0-]
To file an issue, please visit:

http://tracker.installjammer.com/
damon
Site Admin

Postby nmetts » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:58 pm

damon,

The best that I can tell, the issue is with the application manifest file. Essentially, unless the manifest file specifies that the installer support Windows 7 functionality, Windows 7 may display the message "This program may not have installed correctly." Adding the following to the manifest file should resolve this issue:
Code: Select all
  <compatibility xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:compatibility.v1">
      <application>
        <!--This Id value indicates the application supports Windows Vista functionality -->
          <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/>
        <!--This Id value indicates the application supports Windows 7 functionality-->
          <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/>
      </application>
  </compatibility>

You can refer to this page for more info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa374191(v=vs.85).aspx
Note that the tags above need to be added right after the assembly tag.
Do I need to do a custom build with a modified installkit.exe.manifest file, or is there someway to point an existing installation to a modified version of the manifest? Does that make sense? I'm trying to find the best way to have all of our installers be compatible with Windows 7 and since there are many of us at my organization that create installers, it would be nice if we didn't have to do a custom build for each person just to have consistent manifest files.
nmetts

Return to Help