Reading the Install Directory from Registry Keys

This forum has been archived and is no longer active.

The new forum is located at:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/installjammer/

You may continue to view and search the topics in this forum, but no new posts can be created.

Re: Reading the Install Directory from Registry Keys

Postby JohnnyMcFly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:14 pm

set key {HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VST}
set val "VSTPluginsPath"
if {![catch {registry get $key $val} path]} {
::InstallAPI::SetVirtualText -virtualtext InstallDir $path
}

I added -value before $path and I didn't get the error this time, but it did not populate the text box for me either...
JohnnyMcFly

Postby JohnnyMcFly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Nevermind I got it. I specified for the script to run before the panel is displayed, Great!
Now I just have to figure out how to get it to display our license file and we will probably make a switch to IJ..
JohnnyMcFly

Postby damon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 pm

What format is your license file? InstallJammer does pretty much just plain text, which is fine for a license. I really don't believe in dolling up a license, but some people like them in PDF or HTML. InstallJammer's not gonna do those.

If you need something more than plain text, your best bet would be to display it in plain text in the installer with an optional button added to the pane to launch the actual license in another program (Adobe Reader, Browser, whatever...). That's probably how I would do it if I couldn't use plain text in the license pane. 0-]
To file an issue, please visit:

http://tracker.installjammer.com/
damon
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyMcFly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Yes so I have just found out, normally we would use RTF but I don't think its a big deal, We'll just format it in a different way. Writing an RTF interpreter is PITA I know I had to do it once, took me almost a month!
Anyways something that I have moved on to is appending to the value returned by the VSTPluginsPath registry key. I need it to install to a folder under VSTPluginsPath. We don't "own" the VSTPluginsPath so there is other company's plugins that are installed there. What is generally done is you install your app to a folder under VSTPluginsPath and most DAWs(Digital Audio Workstation) include adding plugins found in subfolders of VSTPluginsPath.

Sorry to have to lean on you for stuff like this but I gotta get this thing out (note in my 12th hour, or so of development today). Its really late in the game for us to be changing install technology, but Inno has this recurring problem that we just can't get to work and there is no work around. I should rephrase that, its not actually Inno's fault, and its not actually MS's fault, MS says that it is up to Install developers to ensure this condition does not exist, and Inno says something about MS set the guidelines. The problem is the,-1 icon index issue (well documented) in the uninstall registry setting if you have an invalid icon index, it causes a gazillion lines in the add remove programs applet. I had this fixed once before by chicken wire and duct tape, and, I built our final install only to find out that its back. So thats why I am changing install technology, Its hard enough what I'm doing let alone not having confidence in the install technology, or having to go to a freaking news group for support. We release a lot of freeware so there is no funds for commercial install builders.
JohnnyMcFly

Postby damon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:45 pm

We've all been under that gun at one time or another. 0-]

What you is simple, and I figured you would need something like it since you probably don't want to install in the main plugin directory, but I wasn't sure. Use this script:

Code: Select all
set key {HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VST}
set val "VSTPluginsPath"
if {![catch {registry get $key $val} path]} {
    ::InstallAPI::SetVirtualText -virtualtext InstallDir -value $path/<%Company%>
}

All I did (other than fix the missing -value from the first pass 0-]) was to add /<%Company%> to the end of the path we got from the registry. You can really make it anything you want, but I figured your company name was probably a good place to start. 0-]

damon
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyMcFly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:04 pm

OK so I can define any virtual text I want and just place it on the end..nice!
Wow look at that out my widow now! The clouds have parted, there's birds singing, sun shining....woo hoo, I my get to sleep sometime soon :)
JohnnyMcFly

Postby JohnnyMcFly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:43 pm

OK Everything seems to be running great, I have one more task to figure out, that is multiple executables, I have 3 that need to be added to the start menu. Is there anything in the manual that can quick track me on how to add these..?

Thanks man for saving me so much time...
JohnnyMcFly

Postby damon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:49 pm

All the main actions of the installer are in the Install Actions group of your installer. If you look in there you'll find all the actions that install and then create the shortcuts. If you just copy the Program Folder shortcut action and then change the properties, it's the quickest to create more icons in the Program Folder.

That should do what you need. 0-]

damon
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyMcFly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:23 am

Thanks Damon...
JohnnyMcFly

Postby JohnnyMcFly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:34 am

Actually it was even easier...
I went to groups and files, right clicked on the files I wanted to add to the start menu and selected add to program folder...
Done
Thanks
JohnnyMcFly

PreviousNext

Return to Help